Saturday, January 19, 2013

resolution fail.

well, shoot. my list for 2012 didn't quite go as planned, but fortunately that is not telling of how my 2012 went.

1. run another half marathon. so, i tried. i began training in very early spring, but fell victim to "runner's knee," by summer, and i let it spiral out of control before i actively sought help. (um, hello?! i work at a physical therapy clinic.) so once i managed that injury (with the help of my amazing therapist!) to the point i was able to start running again, i was past my summer half marathons. i did keep running, however. and i found a running buddy who helped me ease back into it, taking it much more slowly than i've ever dove into it, and my body thanked me. she and i were meeting 2x/week at 5:30 in the morning, and most saturday mornings for our long runs. i overcame my fear of running in the cold, and was running outdoors clear into the 30-40 degree mornings of october and november. in fact, i ran just under 7.5 miles just a couple of weeks before i found out i was pregnant. so while i didn't get to the 13.1 mile marker, i feel really good about the progress i made.
2. make granola regularly. i think i thought this one out loud, then it never crossed my mind again. whoopsie.
3. have 25-50% of my christmas shopping done by july. 90% completed by october. i don't know how exact my timing was, but i did manage to have 7 of my 14 kiddos' christmas gifts purchased AND wrapped before thanksgiving, as i was able to take all of their gifts home with us over the holiday to save on some shipping costs a few weeks later. 
5. create a family cookbook. well, one can dream. and maybe i can carry this forward to another year. (although, i don't have high hopes for 2013!) i think i organized only a couple of recipes with pictures for this resolution, so perhaps this one just wasn't meant to be quite yet. but i want to get there.
6. take one photo per week for my photography blog. i made it up through week 44. seems sad to have stopped just 8 weeks shy of the complete year, but i had a very good excuse: a baby on board! who has made me sicker than a dog! 
7. blog more on my personal blog. i succeeded in this one - with 74 posts in 2012 - more than any year to date. 
8. have family date nights, movie nights, and daddy/owen & mommy/owen dates. like many of the other resolutions, we did a pretty good job about being intentional with our family dates for the first several months, but as the year went on, our good intentions seemed to have been forgotten. don't get me wrong, we still do things together as a family, and 1-on-1, but we are not as intentional as we once were about making sure it happens.
9. go on dates with my husband. see #8.
10. bake bread often. from about the 2nd week of january through the end of may, i don't think we bought more than 1-2 loaves of bread from the store. i gave up for the summer months, knowing that a lot of peanut butter & honey sandwiches would be going down during daddy summer daycare, and didn't even want to try to keep up with that madness. then fall came around, and i make a loaf from time to time - but never picked up on my good habits again. 

we had a really amazing year, with many highlights. i'm hoping to see the end of my pregnancy sickness sooner rather than later this time around, and to be able to fully embrace 2013 and all that it has to bring. 

no list for me this year!

No comments: