Sunday, February 17, 2013

Potty Training Bootcamp, Part 2

Some time has gone by since Potty Training Bootcamp, Part 1 concluded. And with school registration for next fall happening this week, we needed to really start prioritizing this potty training business. (It's a requirement to start preschool in the fall.)

So I dove in to another weekend, committed to not leaving the house and spending all of my energy and efforts to make this as successful as possible. We did a lot of painting, as you will see in the pictures provided. As it turns out, painting is the perfect project when clothing is optional for the weekend. :)

Day 1 began naked from the waist down, and that proved to be fairly successful from the get-go. I started by making a mandatory trip to the potty every 20 minutes or so, but since we were playing in the basement, and his potty was upstairs, my pregnant self decided that all of my huffing and puffing from stair climbing was going to do me in before lunchtime. So, I decided to give 'trusting him to tell me' a try. Our reward switched from a graham cracker to M&M's ("aunt ems," as he called them) - and I think those were significantly more exciting. It was usually not until an accident started that he'd speak up, but he did at least let me know.

THEN, some time after lunch, the most amazing thing happened: "Mommy, I have to go potty..."So I squealed and ran us to the restroom where he pushed and peed - then stopped himself midstream out of his own excitement and hopped off to choose a red M&M. We danced and celebrated him telling me AND successfully going. Then 2 minutes later, "Mommy I have to go potty..." and he did again! Over the course of the next 15 minutes, we visit the potty a total of 9 times - each time a success.

So then we had to focus our efforts on getting it all out in one sitting. ;-)

[Day 1, Nekked Painting]

Day 2 was dedicated to getting a layer or two on. So we moved on to underwear. And it didn't go so well. We had numerous accidents in his underwear and pants to the point I was ready to declare Diapers for Life. But fortunately we squeezed in a couple of successes between dinner and bedtime to push me through to Day 3.

[Day 2, Underpants Painting]

Day 3 we were joined by Ella and Ivy, so I wondered how the added distraction of a playmate would play into our training. But it actually went really great this day. He even allowed his cousin Ella to help him during his potty breaks. We never braved pants this day - underwear, only. But it was a step in the right direction, and I felt very pleased with his progress over the course of our weekend.

[Day 3, Underpants Painting w/ Ella - who was wearing a white shirt, so I provided an apron :) ]

Since we didn't leave the house (other than a trip outside on day 2 that resulted in an outfit change), I didn't have confidence in transporting him to school, and trusting him to be in a classroom full of kids with teachers he'd need to communicate his need to potty with after only telling me all weekend. So we sent him in pull-ups to school all week, which didn't lead to any successes at school, but changed him into underwear as soon as we got home at night.

Today, we went to breakfast, to church, to Costco, outside to play, and to the dog park - all in underwear. Only one accident in all of our outings, and it was while he was in Sunday School. So it looks like our next obstacle will be transitioning him from only notifying his mommy and daddy to sharing with others' whose care he might be under while we're not around.

I'm really proud of him, and optimistic we may one day in the near future have a little boy who we can declare as potty-trained. It's a nice thought to have him out of diapers by the time I begin with the next!

No comments: