Friday, January 3, 2014

christmas 2013.

A three-year-old Christmas has definitely been the most anticipated Christmas yet. Plus, we were able to enjoy our first Christmas as a family of four with it being Brooks' first. It didn't disappoint.


Christmas celebrations begun with the candlelight service at church on Christmas Eve, followed by our annual fancy beef wellington dinner with my in-laws. (As usual, Owen wasn't enthused with a non-mac n cheese dinner.)




We rushed home to hop into our new Christmas jammies, read Twas The Night Before Christmas, lay out a cookie, milk, and carrots for Santa and his reindeer, and hop into bed. Christmas morning stockings, gifts, and a light breakfast were done at home, then we headed to my sister-in-law's for her annual Christmas Brunch. The kids played and did some sledding until it was time to head home to open a few of our new toys and pack.





The next morning we hit the road for the last of our Christmas celebrations in Indiana. Once we got started, it was a marathon of events 'til the end, but the boys were rockstars through it all. (But gifts and cousins and grandparents galore can't be that bad, right?)


Owen had a Christmas wish list this year, and it consisted of one item: a transformer. He consistently told everyone who asked (and trust me, a lot of people ask.) that was the only thing he wanted. (There was one exception to this - he told the gal cutting his hair the week before Christmas that he wanted a Christmas tree and a puppy.) Then out of nowhere, 3 days before Christmas he adds a watch to his list. A transformer and a watch, he tells everyone. Ugh.

So after I had thought my Christmas shopping was done, I found myself two nights before Christmas calling a store to put a watch on hold. For my 3 year old who can't tell time. He can read numbers, I guess, but has no further concept of time other than he likes to be timed "racing" constantly.

It's not really in my character to want him to have his every desire, nor will it ever be my mission to fulfill his Christmas lists in full, but this time… I really wanted to. For a Christmas as magical as this one in a 3-year-old's eyes, I wanted his Christmas wishes to come true.

As it turns out, he was just as excited for his other gifts as he was for the ones he had asked for. Really, everything was exciting. And that's just so much fun to watch.

Oh, I just love a 3-year-old Christmas.

No comments: