Saturday, January 4, 2014

so long 2013, hello 2014!

video

I had a really incredible 2013. 

I didn't make any resolutions, and have no regrets about not doing so, but I'm giving 2014 a shot. Here's what I'm looking at for the upcoming year:

1. Get my run on. I want to get back to running. I had made it to 2 miles by time I started back to work from my maternity leave, and my max just over 3 miles since October, but have since dropped in my running frequency. The combination of 2 full time working parents, a baby not yet sleeping through the night, and swim season being in full swing, and winter weather really limits the amount of free time I have to sneak in a run. I hope that as I continue to adjust to our new busier lives, that running can find its place in my routine in some form. And maybe, just maaaaybe a half marathon could be in my future. 

2. Get a grip on dinner. With swim season underway, there are nights that I don't get home from work  and fetching children from their respective locations until just after 6pm. Brooks take a bottle around 6:30 and goes down shortly after, and Owen's bedtime is between 7-7:30. If you do the math, that leaves very limited amounts of time to make dinner, do baths, jammies, bottle, stories and bedtime. We've had bacon & eggs or grilled turkey and cheese sandwiches or Papa Murphy's pizza for dinner more times than I care to count. I'd like to make some dishes to freeze, as well as utilize the crockpot a little more to give a tad more variety, especially while Colby is getting home late. 

3. Be more intentional with my camera. Just before Brooks' arrival, I gifted myself a brand new swanky camera. I've done a decent job learning the basics of my new DSLR, but have a long way to go. I've been disappointed with a lot of my impromptu shots, and want to improve my quick snapshot skills so that I'm not having to do so many shoot and adjusts until I've completely missed the moment. I'm still learning to love Canon, but just as I was with my MacBook, I know I'll never turn back. It's just a learning curve that I have yet to master. I want to be intentional on learning it better so that I can blog better photos of our everyday lives. 

That's it! (I have a few additional personal goals RE: love, parenting, finances that I'm not blogging about.) I hope this list will be manageable for our lives and that I can report back with more success than I did from 2012 resolutions. Even if you don't make resolutions, I hope this is a year that its blessings unevenly outweigh its hardships, and that you find yourself in a place you're proud to have made it to. Cheers to 2014!

No comments: