Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother's Day this year.

Five years ago as I was anxiously awaiting the arrival of my first baby boy, I had written my mom a letter for Mother's Day. I had reflected on the kind of mother she had been to me (the amazing kind.) and how I prayed I'd be like her in my new role. I'm three kids in now, and I still pray that her example will forever guide me on this beautiful journey of motherhood.


"I don't know if you were planning to, but please don't share this with the Facebook world. Really, no one wants to read about other kids' poop." - my husband to me this morning at approximately 6:08AM.

Because the diaper that I, while half asleep, put on the baby at 3AM in the dark would never have won me a Mother of the Year award. This became evident when I brought her in to our bed this morning at 6AM for her feeding and about halfway through there came an explosion. A really stinky, and really really messy one. Happy Mother's Day from Sadie. (PS - Honey, if you're reading this, you never said I couldn't share it with my blog followers! ;-))

I'd like to think that most of the time, I have a pretty good sense of humor about life. I get that from my mother. (Except that one time my husband left me at home alone with the three kids for the first time a couple of days after returning home from the hospital with our brand new third baby for an end-of-season swim banquet that lasted long into the evening and the oldest woke up crying because he had puked which woke up the other one who was now crying which woke up the baby who was also crying and the overwhelming orchestra of desperate cries had me angry calling my husband to get home immediately and to never leave me again.) My mom very seldom let a "stinky" situation ruin her day. So here I was wide awake at 6AM stripping sheets off of our bed to begin a load of laundry on Mother's Day while my husband was busy using half the box of baby wipes to clean off the baby (I mean, really, a bath would have been easier at that point. Daddies.). But rather than let all of that ruin my plans of a slow morning, I sat back down on the empty bed with my now-clean baby and smirked at her innocent smooshy face, and told her that it wasn't what I had in mind for my morning.. then smooched her all over. And she flashed her wide open mouth smile over and over in complete delight at the attention she was receiving from her momma. And I was so content. Except.

"You know who would have wanted to hear about it?"
"Who?"
"My mom."

And in that moment, I missed her so very much. Those are the kinds of moments that always make me miss her. Even though Mother's Day was never a holiday that we made a lot of fuss over, I sure wished I could have called her up this morning to tell her how mine started this year.

Instead, I told my grouchy 4-year-old who had a taste of staying up past his bedtime last night when he came dragging into our bedroom at his normal 6:30 wakeup time in order to get a smile out of him. (It worked.) And then I snuggled all 3 of my sweet kiddos in my uncovered bed while Colby went out to fetch me a chai tea latte and I marveled at the reality that I have been blessed with this gift of motherhood, and how crazy in love with those little people I am.


We went on to have a lovely morning, afternoon, and evening. Simple and satisfying. My heart was filled to the brim. And tonight I got to kiss to my three sweet children and tell them how thankful I am to be their mama.

Mother's Day is a day to celebrate motherhood. And I have one incredible woman who I'm remembering fondly and missing dearly, and three tiny souls who have introduced me to a world of love I've never known who have given me so much to be thankful for.

Happy Mother's Day. May you all have a reason to celebrate on this day.

"All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my mother."


1 comment:

Leslee Dummermuth said...

I just love so much of this. Oh how she would have loved to see you with your little girl.