Friday, October 23, 2015

life::an outtake


We have this picture hanging on a wall above Owen's bed. It was one of several pictures of my mom and the boys we had displayed during her funeral on a bulletin board that we had found in a bin in their basement over Thanksgiving. Colby had confiscated (with my dad's consent) several of them, along with a couple pieces of her jewelry and brought back and gave to me at Christmas the next month.

They sat in a pile on my dresser for months before I grabbed this one out and taped to Owen's wall one night when we had been talking about her. Owen use to ask to pray for her in our evening prayers a lot, even after being told that she no longer needed prayed for since she was now in heaven.. without cancer, without pain. I would try to redirect his prayers to be for himself, her family, or her friends who may still be hurting from missing her, but it really was a lost cause.

We haven't said those prayers for quite some time now. But one night recently as I had been putting the boys to bed we were talking about Grandma. He looked at the picture and said, "Oh, I remember that. We would go on nature walks and would find sticks and would stick them in the pond to see what we could find."

Me: Owen, I love that you can remember things about Grandma. See how small Brooks is in that picture? He was too young, and will likely not remember walks around the pond with Grandma.

Owen: Well, I'm going to try to remember as much as I can for a long time so I can tell Sadie about Grandma when she gets big, too.

1 comment:

Leslee Dummermuth said...

Love that little O-man. Such a good little guy.