Friday, July 29, 2016

FHS Lake Weekend 2016.


Once again, our family joined 3 others' under 1 roof for some time at the lake. My 3 very best high school friends, along with their husbands and 6 children, joined ours at Lake Freeman in northwestern Indiana for 3 nights.

When I first dropped this crazy idea last fall or winter in one of our group texts, I knew it would be a long shot. In my adult years, I have found that friendships take a lot more effort to keep up than what they did during our school-aged years. Scatter those friendships around to different cities (and states!), and the effort becomes greater. Add spouses and children to the mix, even greater.

My friendships with these 3 ladies began 17 years ago in the 9th grade at Frankton High School and 22 & 24 years ago in the 2nd and 4th grades at Leach Elementary. The time we get to spend together seems to be few and far between these days, and trending fewer and further with the addition of children to my family and loss of my mama a couple of years ago.

Living in KC has made it difficult to feel that I am able to really "know" their kids and it really hits me from time to time as I see photos of their kiddos looking older than the week before or a short video that gives a glimpse into their little personalities that I am not an active part of that.

Adulthood and wifehood (?) and motherhood changes us. So part of me knowing them is knowing their families. Who they've become. And they've become 3 very different and incredible women that I feel so lucky to have as friends.

Until the next time I can have them all in one place again, I'm savoring a weekend spent with 8 adults and 9 children under one roof that filled my soul to the brim.












No comments: